Want to convert your home into a smart home? Or you are already looking to add new features to your already present smart home products. Just like the other types of electronic systems, these smart devices also run on different types of protocols and syntax. The ground rule between the communication being electronic signals in from of digital or analog. ZIGBEE v/s ZWAVE is those set of languages which help in the communication of the devices. Think of them as if one device works on ZIGBEE and the other works upon ZWAVE then they won’t be able to communicate among themselves. While they both are the most popular languages in this field of wireless and smart home technology, they differ in their benefits, drawbacks, and consumer bases.
ZIGBEE for Smart Home
Not only has this open ZigBee technology become the global wireless standard language for smart device communication it has also being a sensation in the field of industrial and residential use. Originally designed to be serving its purpose only for commercial use it has come a long way since than now serving as the sensing and control standard in almost every field. It is built by IEEE and is an 802 wireless communication standard. Perks over other competitors it consumes a very small amount of power and has developed such a network type that offers excellent range and speedy communication between the devices.
- COMPATIBILITY: Being an open type the ZigBee technology the consumers of this type are spread worldwide among the smart home devices. Also due to its increasing demand various companies having collaborated with ZIGBEE to increase the platform use and the consumption of their own manufactured products.
- SECURITY & FUTURE PROOFING: Imagine your home smart devices using the same level of encryption and protection to what the major banks use now-a-days. Yes, ZigBee uses AES-128 encryption.
The alliance considers over nearly 400 member organizations that use, develop, test and improve ZigBee’s open wireless communication. Therefore, it allows both the company and the customers to develop a good and a healthy relationship between each other.
- BIGGEST PRO: It boasts about the very little power consumption it takes and thus devices working on ZigBee can last up to seven years on 1 set of batteries.
PRODUCTS COMPATIBLE WITH ZIGBEE:
- WeMo Smart LED Bulb
- Zen Thermostat
- Kwikset Smart code Deadbolt
Z-WAVE for Smart Homes
- It is the mother of the original wireless network technologies for home automation. Originally it was developed specifically for customers to remotely control and monitors their home automation devices to ease up the working schedules. Z-wave was designed for smart homes. It has continued creating a much higher standard for automated lighting, heating, security and other domestic and home smart devices. It is an home wireless automation protocol that runs on the 908.42 MHz frequency band making it relatively new in terms of automation protocols but as change is the demand of today’s market it has grown quite rapidly in the past few years. The group behind it boasts about over 1,000 different wide ranges of compatible devices giving you to choose when it comes to automating your home. Therefore, Z-Wave for smart homes is a dream come true.
- SECURITY & FUTURE PROOFING: At every Z-Wave network the devices are so configured that within the network they are assigned unique ID’s that communicate with your hub. This ensures that no other device hub can control your set of devices. This increases the usage among the neighborhood and also helps in mass installation among flats and colonies. It supports various security devices also and thus uses the major bank level protection type AES-128 encryption.
- BIGGEST PRO: The friendliest system that evens the customers can setup and install them. Just purchase the Z-wave hub and only you now need are the devices you want to connect.
FEW PRODUCTS COMPATIBLE WITH Z-Wave:
- GE Wireless Lighting Outlet
- Yale Touchscreen Deadbolt
- Fibaro Motion SensorCompare their features, pros and cons, advantages they offer to different customers, and which wireless technology best fits your home automation needs. Z-wave v/s ZigBee are the fiercest and the friendliest among their own fields.